“I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille.”
Are you? Are you really? Well, maybe some of you are ready to stand in front of a camera and smile for the world, but I’m not…yet.
We are back at it again today- Personal Branding for Dummies (A Wiley Brand). Settle in and let’s boogie!
TV- this is where every aspect of your branding is put to the test. What you wear, your confidence, how you treat people around you, and how calm, cool, and collected you appear. Professionalism is key. These small steps can lead to bigger and better things.
It’s your brand on display. Is it on point or does it need a deep clean and a shine? Just remember that your personal brand is only as good as the last time it was put on display. If your goal is to become a regular image on TV then your image will continue to grow. It takes several spots for people to see who or what you are trying to display. It is an ever-evolving experience.
- Keep all information regarding your appearance together in one place, a folder is best.
- Follow all instructions you are given. It doesn’t hurt to ask questions beforehand-
what to wear, what to bring, and the types of questions you will be answering.
- Take notes. Lots of them. Know the names of who you have spoken with and what their titles are.
- Watch the show- know how they work, who they typically speak with and how their interview process moves.
- Do not memorize or rehearse what you plan on saying. Editing happens and can change the way things are perceived. Just be prepared with multiple talking points.
- Prepare ahead of time. Pack what you will need a day or two in advance. Make a list and check it twice. (If you are an author- like me- pack several signed copies of your book to present to members of the staff and the host of the show.)
- If you can, have a pro do your hair and makeup. This is not the time to try something new and exciting.
- Clothes matter. Be stylish without being overly styled. Keep the sparkle to a minimum. Avoid patterns and solid black, white, or red. Those colors don’t translate well on screen.
Polish your sparkle and just keep twirling.
Find joy. Be joy. Enjoy.
I’m always looking for new friends!
Have you picked up your copy yet?
Other places you can find me: