So, the topic of comforts was offered up as a blog topic and here I am looking at the things that make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The list of options that were given includes people, entertainment, writing, music, good food, and laughter. Let’s see what I can do with this, shall we?
People: I do my best to not seek comfort from many people. There are only a few that I trust my mind and soul with enough to reach out to them for peace. It’s a heavy burden to place on another to be responsible for your personal comfort. The hubs signed up for that requirement many, many, many…many moons ago so he’s stuck with the cup of crazy that is me. Lucky him. That’s love.
BUT- if I am seeking joy, love, and tons of laughter then people are key. I need an audience after all. There is nothing better than a group of like minding nutcases to liven up a room and find comfort in a familiar sort of crazy.
Entertainment: I guess this could encompass a lot of things so I will play with a few that mean something to me.
- Books- yup, I’m a reader. I can read upwards of 300+ pages per day, but sometimes I want to be wrapped in a story that is as familiar as a family member. There are books that I drift back to a few times a year for whatever reason. There are stories I will reread during the holidays and anniversaries of sad times. There are some that just call me back for a hug once in a while. You can’t beat a good book for comfort.
- Movies- When I need a reminder that I was once young I slip my copy of The Breakfast Club into the DVD player and enjoy the memories. Need a little romance when your hubs doesn’t have a clue…watch a movie. When I feel like I need a good cry and have no idea why I watch a sappy movie and let it out. Pay it Forward is guaranteed to unleash a tsunami of tears. Any emotion you need is available on Netflix, at the video store or Youtube.
- Writing- IS MY LIFE. I write to remember. I write to release. I write cuz I have stories to tell that are awesome and amazing and scary as HELL. I need words like I need air. So, it is a comfort zone for me. When I am sitting in front of my keyboard or holding a pen to paper I am at peace.
- Good Food- Nothing beats comfort foods. There are times when I reconnect with who I am and where I come from while I am making something from my childhood. Mind you, my childhood was a tale of terror, but there were moments that I can hold on to that were good and true and each carried with it a recipe. We all have Christmas or Holiday traditions in the kitchen. We remember B-B-Q’s and birthday parties with all our favorite flavors. Yum! When I want to remind the hubs and kiddos that I love them they will find proof in the refrigerator.
- Music- My world is never silent. Just on my computer, if I pushed play and let it play nonstop it would go for 5 days, 17 hours, and 41 minutes. So, yes, music is important. Hell, I’m listening to iHeart radio right now! I have stacks of CD’s, multiple MP3 players laying around and a 64 GB jump drive with tunes on them. When I’m writing I tap into rainymood.com and listen to thunderstorms to keep my mind focused on whatever story I am working on. I kinda love music. Blue October is at the top of my list followed by Five Finger Death Punch, Matthew Mayfield, Harry Connick Jr., James Arthur, The Cranberries, AC/DC, Meatloaf, Ed Sheeran… I think you get what I’m sayin’. I find comfort in melodies.
We all need comfort in our lives. It will vary from person to person. Where I seek out music another may find contentment in silence. You have to find what works for you and embrace the relief it offers. Comfort creates peace and peace carries to those around you. Find your comfort zone and visit often.
***Thank you, Donnell S., for the topic and discussion on FB. Send along any other ideas you would like to share.
Until next time…
Find joy. Be joy. Enjoy.